The Tewksbury Public Library's Local History Collection was established to preserve and provide access to research materials documenting the founding, development, and achievements of the Town of Tewksbury and its rich history.
The Local History Room is accessible during regular Library hours. For more information about accessing the Local History Room click here.
If you would like photocopies made of any materials in the Local History Room, please make the request to the Librarian on duty. Fragile items cannot be photocopied.
Copies are 0.15 per page with a maximum of five pages unless other arrangements have been made prior to your visit. Applicable copyright laws apply.
If you need something specific, please call or email us.
Do you have something you'd like to donate to our Local History Collection? Please call Christine Sharbrough, Reference Librarian, at 978-640-4490 ext. 207, or, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
• Vital Records of Tewksbury to the End of the Year 1849
Tewksbury Town Directories
• List of Residents by Streets, Ages 17 Years and Over (1965 - present (incomplete))
• Telephone Directories (1998 - present)
• Cole Directory for Lowell and its Vicinity (2005 - 2014)
• Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps, Lowell Area (microfilm)
• Local Historical and Contemporary Maps
Town Newspapers on Microfilm
• Merrimack Valley Advertiser (Mar 21, 1957 - Dec 21, 1958; Apr 2, 1959 - Feb 26, 1992)
• Tewksbury Advertiser (Mar 4, 1992 - Dec 2000)
• Tewksbury Advocate (Jan 1, 2001 - Present)
• Tewksbury Town Crier (Jan 2003 - Present) For older issues see the Wilmington Library online database that covers 1955-2015.
The 2015 issues of the Tewksbury Advocate and The Tewksbury Town Crier are now fully indexed and searchable online as are the Scroll high school yearbooks. Click here for access.
Please note, we do not have the following years:
- yearbooks prior to 1947
- 1948, 1949, 1950, 1952, 1954, 1957, 1958, 1961-64, 1969, 1996 and 2005.
- Anne Sullivan and the Tewksbury Hospital
- Captain John Trull (Tewksbury Minuteman)
- King Philip's War
- Lowell Mill Girls and Women
- Merrimack River
- Mico Kaufman (local sculptor)
- Tewkesbury, England (Town namesake)
- Town Anniversaries (including 200th Anniversary Time Capsule)
- Tewksbury State Hospital (State Almshouse)
- Town of Tewksbury Annual Reports (1878 - present)
- Wamesit Indians