Research shows that reading with your child will build their vocabularies, increase reading readiness, create empathy for others and strengthen the bond between you and your child(ren). Here at the TPL, we encourage you to read 1000 books with your child before they head off to Kindergarten! If you read just 1 book a night, you will have read about 365 books in a year. That’s 730 books in two years and 1,095 books in three years. So let’s get started!
How does it work?
- Children ages 0 to 5 and their caregivers are invited to participate.
- Pick up a booklet at the Children’s desk to get started.
- Simply read any book to your child and write it down in the booklet. Books read during Story Time count!
- Yes, you can re-read titles and count them, but we encourage finding new books to try.
- When you fill up each booklet with 100 titles (there are 100 lines), return it to the Children’s desk so a sticker can be added to your child’s name and shape on the progress board. (When you finish the first booklet, your child can pick a shape to hang up for the board)
- Upon getting to 1000 books, we’ll have a special prize for your child!
- There is no time limit except your child’s starting kindergarten, so complete the 1000 book challenge at your own pace and enjoy the experience.